Economics of Road Safety – What does it imply under the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development?
Conference contribution, 2017
Road traffic accidents and injuries are a major public health problem and leading cause of death in the Asia EST region (comprises South and Southeast Asia, People's Republic of China, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mongolia and the Russian Federation). This paper aims to:
- Review the Road Safety problem in the EST region, including the economic impact
- Review of the role of the UN and its entities in the field of road safety, including the 2015 Sustainable Development Goals
- Introduce the basics of economics of road safety and the methodology of cost benefit assessment (CBA) and cost-effectiveness analysis (CE)
- Review of the status of road safety measures in the EST region and analysis of the importance of investment in road safety in Asia
- Develop recommendations on the most cost-effective road safety measures.
Asia EST region
cost benefit assessment
intelligent transport system