Explore - Exploring the opportunities for advancing vehicle recycling industrialization
After almost four years of research, it is time to summarise the findings of the Explore project. Involving actors from across the vehicle value chain, it has aimed to increase dialogue and communication, built knowledge regarding the composition of vehicles and pinpointed barriers and opportunities to improve circular flows of vehicle materials in the future.
The project's goal is to find ways to strengthen Swedish automotive recycling industry’s role in a more circular economy and create close cooperation between manufacturing and recycling industries. Against this background, the project has the following objectives:
* Analyze future vehicle fleet's material content and its implication for recycling system adaptation.
* Adopt and adapt manufacturing planning and control theories and practices to develop a more efficient vehicle dismantling.
* Analyze and propose solutions for more efficient reverse logistics in vehicle recycling.
* Identify political and industrial action that can support the development of Swedish vehicle recycling.
* Identify technical solutions for disassembly, sorting and recycling of future vehicles.
The project was carried out through six individual work packages related to different parts of the vehicle value chain.